Nutritional Highlights: By adding chickpeas, lots of veggies, and a mayonnaise free dressing to whole wheat pasta, pasta salad is no longer something you need to avoid. This one is high in fiber and vitamins. For the sandwiches, try to use whole wheat bread and fresh ingredients. Plus, you can bring a Frisbee or a mitt and softball and get some exercise after your picnic to make it even healthier!
Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Chickpeas and Vegetables:
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1. Bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta as directed, until al dente (this is important! no one likes mushy pasta salad).
2. While it’s cooking, cut zucchini into quarters and then slice. I sauteed it in a tablespoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat to soften and brown it slightly and to bring out the flavor. You can also just throw it in raw if you prefer.
3. For the dressing, simply whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Strain pasta and put in a bowl. Let it cool for a few minutes.
5. To the pasta, add cooked zucchini, raw halved grape tomatoes, can of chickpeas (drained), fresh herbs, Parmesan, and salt and pepper.
6. Pour dressing on gradually, mixing pasta salad and tasting until it is coated to your liking with the dressing.
7. Pack everything up and go have a picnic!! This would also be great to serve at a BBQ or as a side dish with dinner. Enjoy!
This is a pretty magical soup. It’s comforting and hearty but doesn’t make your hips more comfortable and hearty. It’ll simultaneously satisfy the health freaks and the vegetable averse. And my favorite part: one pot of soup + individual Tupperware bowls = frozen dinners for weeks! Warning: This recipe is NOT for those who hate chopping. I personally think taking out your aggression on some helpless veggies at the end of a long day is pretty therapeutic. Ok, time to get started. Step 1: Set up your ipod speakers and turn on some tunes. Step 2: Start chopping.