A glorious discovery was made in my kitchen this morning. Potentially earth shattering, ground breaking, and other dramatic things like that. Drum roll please…Quinoa for breakfast. OK maybe some of you don’t find that quite as exciting as I do, but I was SO excited to see how great quinoa was as part of this baked oatmeal. You can’t go wrong with the combination of blueberries, bananas, walnuts, and cinnamon and added to super foods like quinoa, oats, and chia seeds, this is an amazingly healthy and delicious breakfast, brunch, or even healthy dessert.
The other benefit of this dish (beyond the nutritional and flavor aspects) is that it makes about 6-8 servings making it perfect for a family or group, or for filling tupperware for a weeks worth of breakfasts (if you are me- party of 1). It’s also super easy to put together. You just layer sliced bananas and blueberries on the bottom of the pan, top with the dry ingredients, pour over the wet ingredients, and then top with a few extra banana slices, blueberries, and walnuts for a lil extra flair.
Nutritional Highlights: This is a crazy healthy meal. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Quinoa: Apparently the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has officially declared that the year 2013 be recognized as “The International Year of the Quinoa.” Who in the world knows what that means, but it’s packed with protein and fiber.
- Blueberries and Bananas: antioxidants, potassium, deliciousness.
- Walnuts: omega-6 fatty acids
- Chia seeds: No relation to our grass covered pets of the 90’s…They’re so hot right now so I decided to throw in a few tablespoons. They have omega 3’s, protein, and fiber, and they soak up a ton of liquid so they keep you full for a while
Quinoa-Oatmeal Bake with Blueberries, Bananas, and Walnuts
adapted from Milk and Honey Living
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 1/4 cups milk (skim or soy/almond if you want non-dairy)
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
3 bananas, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups blueberries plus a few extra for the top
- Mix together oats, quinoa, most of the walnuts (save a few for the top), baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat egg and add in milk, vanilla, melted butter (let cool slightly).
- Cut bananas into slices covering the bottom of pan (reserve a few slices for the top). Top with the berries (again, saving a few for the top) and cover with oat mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients to cover dry ingredients and top with remaining berries, banana slices, and walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup if you like it a little bit sweet like I do! Enjoy!
Note: If you like your oatmeal a little sweeter, feel free to add some maple syrup or honey into the bake (my version only has fruit to give sweetness). Also, if you’re going to save the leftovers and reheat, I recommend adding a little milk or water for reheating as it dries out a bit.