In typical New York fashion, the weather has been completely unpredictable. Pouring one day, beautiful the next, and it’s latest mood–way way too hot for the end of May. When it gets hot, I crave salads. I wanted to make a refreshing side for my memorial day cook-
out in, and I actually could smell the strawberries in the produce section before I even saw them, so I had to get them. With Strawberries, Farro (or your favorite grain), Feta, Spinach, and Balsamic vinaigrette, this salad takes almost no time to prepare and is still impressive enough for your cook-out/in.
Nutritional Highlights: As you’ve probably noticed, I LOVE putting fruit in my salads. It’s kind of my thing. And for good reason! This salad for example, has almost every food group–fruits (strawberry), veggies (spinach), whole grains (farro), dairy (low fat feta), and a little healthy fat from olive oil. Variety is the key to a healthy diet, and this salad definitely has it. Plus, it’s super easy and leaves you plenty of time to get outside and enjoy the warm weather!
Strawberry-Farro Salad with Feta and Balsamic
- 1 cup dry farro (other options include wheat berries, barley, or any other grain you have)
- 4 cups packed baby spinach or arugula
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 oz low fat feta cheese, crumbled (or sub goat cheese if you prefer)
- your favorite balsamic vinaigrette or good olive oil and balsamic vinegar