When it get’s this hot, the kind of hot where you have to swim through the air it’s so humid, the last thing you want to do is cook. Or at least any kind of cooking that requires additional heat. That’s when cool, fresh summer salads can save you from relying on eating out all summer. This one is a personal favorite because it’s so simple but the flavors are just perfecto together.
The key is the watermelon. Possibly my favorite summer food (tied with peaches and corn on the cob). Cube the watermelon and combine with peppery arugula, reduced fat feta, thinly sliced red onion (optional), and almonds. Toss with a simple vinaigrette and dinner is ready. You’re happy because you’re not sweating for the first time all day, and that’s cool. Literally.
Nutritional Highlights: Watermelon is a great source of antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin A (in the form of beta carotene). It also is, as the name suggests, filled with water so it’ll fill you up and keep you hydrated. The almonds and feta give this salad protein and texture. When summer gives us such an incredible variety of fresh produce, give your oven/stove a break!
Watermelon Arugula Salad with Feta, Almonds, and Red Onion
- Watermelon, cubed
- reduced fat feta, crumbled
- dry roasted almonds (or any other type of nut you like)
- thinly sliced red onion (can omit if you’re not an onion fan)
- baby arugula
- simple red wine vinaigrette: 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon honey, salt and pepper
1. It’s almost hard for me to write this recipe because it’s so easy! Whisk the dressing. Toss with all ingredients except the watermelon ( we don’t want to start breaking it down). When ready to serve, gently toss in the watermelon chunks.
2. Enjoy a nice cool (vegetarian) meal or side this summer!