Tart Frozen Yogurt
- 32 oz greek plain frozen yogurt (2% will be a creamier fro yo but I guess fat free is ok too)
- 1/2 cup sugar (less or more depending on how tart/sweet you like it.
- 10 ghraham crackers
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
1. For the crust, gring the graham crackers in the food processor until finely ground. Add the oats, flax seed, brown sugar and salt and pulse a few times to combine. Add butter (cubed), apple sauce, and vanilla and pulse so the mixture becomes crumble.
2. Press into a pie pan (I didn’t end up using all of the crust mixture because I think my pie pan is on the small side). Bake in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
3. Before starting the fro yo process, make sure you ice cream maker bowl has been in the freezer for 24 hours and that you’ve strained the yogurt. I did this by putting a strainer on top of an empty bowl, lining the strainer with paper towel and pouring the yogurt in. Cover with paper towels. This will draw all the liquid out so the yogurt is extra creamy.
4. Mix strained yogurt with sugar and pour into your ice cream maker following the directions for your machine. Should take about 25-30 minutes.
5. Fill pie crust and put in freezer for about and hour so everything sets. Top with fresh fruit and serve.